Format Balance/Playtesting Notes
- Big basics are obviously going to be an issue.
- U150 dealt with this issue by outright banning basic Pokémon above 150HP. This eliminates most EX, GX, and V Pokémon from their format entirely, as well as a few outliers (some Prism Star legends, Wishiwashi, Snorlax, etc...) It is one of the defining traits of that format, and doing so in this way also allows older cards from the Unlimited card pool to remain relevant, because they don't have to compete with power-crept basics from the modern era.
- Like it or not, EX/GX/V basics are a defining part of B&W-onwards PTCG design, and as Monarch starts from B&W era, something would feel off if they were they not included at all. However, they probably shouldn't be a free inclusion, otherwise lumping together all the best EX/GX/V basics in a single deck will be tough for evolution-based decks to keep up with.
- I'm toying with the idea of having all 2-prize basics pointed at 1 and 3-prize basics pointed at 2 by default. This would keep multi-prize basics playable in the format, while limiting their overall impact. If deemed necessary, single-prize 150HP+ basics could be pointed at 1 as well.
- 2021-03-01: This change is now in effect, with single-prize 150HP+ Pokémon untouched for the moment.
- Puzzle of Time (BKP) is on the points list purely because it is on the Babaloco Hall of Fame points list we inherited, but the singleton nature of the format makes it impossible for the two Puzzle of Time to be played at once. It can probably safely be removed from our points list.
- 2021-03-01: This change is now in effect.